I wanted something fabulously quick and easy after a long day of travelling, so when I saw that fresh figs were on special at the fruit market I couldn’t resist. Team it up with some lightly sauteed mushrooms, bang on a beautiful dressing and some walnuts and you’ve got a pretty tasty salad ready in less than 15 minutes. I’ve been toying with the idea of a sweeter dressing (not using maple for a change) and carob is lovely, so much so I think I might make some cookies tomorrow using the carob syrup…. hmmmm but what to put with it, I shall ponder!
I’m sat all dressed and ready for the fashion show tonight, tried about 5 outfits on and went with the first one, a lovely simple LBD, isn’t that always the way, I’ve got some ridiculous shoes on too, taking my comfy flats for driving and then we’ll be sat for the next 3 hours (hopefully) hope I don’t need to get up much as I’m about 6 foot 1 in these shoes and the lovely ladies I’m going with are a smidge shorter even in their towering wedges! Surprisingly these shoes are actually quite comfortable to wear, which is good as I haven’t worn heels in over a year… I bet my calves are sore tomorrow, but that’s then, so I’ll enjoy them just now though!
So, I’ll give you this recipe then I’m out the door to join some fashionistas for the evening!
Fresh Fig, Walnut & Mushroom Salad with a Carob & Balsamic Dressing (vegan & gluten free)
MyInspiration Feel The Difference Range
Serves 2 and ready in 15 minutes
For the salad
- 6 medium button mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 red onion finely sliced
- 12 walnut halves roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 large figs cut into thick slices
- Black pepper to season
For the dressing
- 1.5 tbsp carob syrup
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Serve with mixed leaves and some stuffed green olives, with a slice of your favourite bread smothered in hummus on the side.
- Heat 2 tbsp water in a non stick saute pan and add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes before adding in the balsamic vinegar, keep the heat on medium/high and cook for a further 6 minutes, then toss in the red onion and walnuts, add a pinch of black pepper, mix everything together and turn off the heat.
- Prepare your mixed leaves in your serving bowl, make it into a nest, then spoon the mushroom mixture into the centre, arrange your sliced figs around the side and add the green olives on top.
- For the dressing, mix together the carob and balsamic vinegar in a small cup and give it a quick whisk and drizzle over the salad and you’re done!!