Pasta day… one of my favourite days, purely because it feels like one of the easier dishes of the week. I already know that there is going to be some form of pasta, so all I need to come up with is the sauce. But to be fair, it is getting a bit more tricky, I always want to do something different each week, so I have to think a lot more carefully about what I’m putting in it. Luckily though, nearly every vegetable goes well with pasta (although I’m not counting brussel sprouts in there!!) I just need to put together a combination that will work well together!
This dish is really delicious and quick to make. I’d originally wanted some asparagus but it seems to be out of season here, so I opted for Okra (lady fingers) instead and they worked a treat, so I’m happy with the substitution. When it comes to pasta day though, I can’t venture too far away from my beloved black olives, I think they have become my new food heaven, so tasty, so I use them quite a bit, but I don’t care, they’re fabulous!
Back to body pump this morning and I think I was slightly too ambitious with my weight choices for the back sequence… I thought I was ready to go back up to the full weights I used before we went away for the summer… I was wrong… I did it, I managed, but I was shaking like a leaf afterwards, but I’ve done it now, so I can’t go backwards, just need to keep going and build my strength back up again! Think I need a massage now!
Penne Pasta with Garlic Sauteed Okra, Cherry Tomatoes, Basil & Black Olives (vegan & gluten free option)
MyInspiration Feel The Difference Range
Serves 2 – ready in 30 minutes
- 160g wholewheat penne (for GF sub with your favourite GF brand/Corn Pasta)
- 2 garlic cloves finely sliced
- ½ tbsp dried basil
- 10 okra (lady fingers) chopped
- 8 cherry tomatoes quartered
- ½ cup passatta (pureed tomatoes)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- Black pepper to season
- Cook the pasta. Add the penne to a pan of boiling water, turn heat to medium and cook for 12 minutes, drain and set aside.
- For the Okra – Add 2 tbsp water to a large sauté pan and add the garlic and basil and cook for 2 minutes before adding in the okra and mixing this altogether. Now add in the the passatta, lemon juice, cherry tomatoes and black pepper and cook on a low heat for 8 minutes, finally add in the black olives and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the drained pasta to the sauté pan and toss everything together and serve in a bowl. (we had some garlic bread alongside ours).